Pregnancy Ticker

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The 'works'

Today I had a bunch of tests, needles and Dr. visits. These things are definately easier when you work at a hospital instead of making extra trips and appointments! So, first thing this morning I filled out a form to see the Dr. Last week I was giving care to a gentleman, we later found out, that had whooping cough. I guess it is more dangerous for infants or pregnant women (in their 3rd trimester). It doesn't harm the baby but the coughing can put a pregnant women into premature labour - which we REALLY don't want. We chatted about me going on antibiotics but came to the conclusion that I won't go on them unless I actually start having symptoms. I don't like taking extra drugs if I don't have to ESPECIALLY when I'm pregnant! So far I don't have symptoms of whooping cough and hope I never do.
Then I had to do my gestational diabetes glucose test where they make you drink something similar to orange pop then they take your blood to see how the body deals with the sugar. So, I drank the 'stuff' went back to work for an hour then they drew some blood.
After that I had to get my Rhogam shot because my blood is RH negative (which can be fatal to the baby if the antibodies shot isn't given). Yet another needle poke...
Now, if I hadn't been at work these procedures probably would have taken a few hours so I'm thankful for the added perk of working at a hospital!

I'm still feeling great and the baby is definately making itself known! 85 days to go!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Aaah, the wonderful orange pop. That stuff is actually pretty good!

I'll be praying for your immunity to the whooping cough!!

Much love,
Mel.